Cake For Two So Many Ways
If you MUST have chocolate, add 2 tbls unsweetened cocoa powder to mix. Voila--chocolate cake!
Tin cans should be washed, label removed, and sprayed with Baker's Joy
- 2 tin cans
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tbl buttermilk
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbl butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix everything together BUT not by hand. If you do not use a mixer, either a stand mixer or a stick mixer, the cake will be a nice sweetened biscuit. It can be cut in half, filled, and frosted, but the texture will not be cake, it will be a biscuit. You must get air into the batter.
- Half the batter into each tin can and to avoid tipping, place the cans on a cookie sheet to bake. 30 minutes.
- When they're done, the trick to turning a cake out of the pan is to place the pans on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Then, turn upside down and the cake will drop out without a problem. If you wait too long, the oils will harden and the cakes will not pop out cleanly. Wait 5 minutes, then flip them out.
- In case you were wondering- 432 Calories per cake.
Light and Fluffy
- Whipped cream frosting--1/2 cup cream with a touch of sugar, whipped to stiff peaks will frost both cakes.
- Decorate with a smooth topping of sweetened cream cheese and mandarin orange slices arranged in a wheel over top
- Cut them in half and fill with jam mixed with cream cheese.
- Fill and drizzle with blueberry sauce-1 tsp grated lemon peel, juice of 2 lemons, 1 1/3 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh), 1/2 cup sugar. Heat and cook into a thick chunky sauce.
- Mix Key Lime juice and powdered sugar to make a glaze to pour over top.
- Just sprinkle the cakes with powdered sugar.
- Serve with a dollop of ice cream!
- Serve with a spoonful of candied kumquats!
- Nutella as cake filling!
- Apple Butter filling!
Get the recipe on a magnet!
Filling is apricot jam with cream cheese and a dash of almond extract
Lime juice with powdered sugar glaze over top. Pineapple, cherry, and orange marmalade mixed with cream cheese as the filling inside.
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 tbls butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- dash of vanilla
If you're a member of Amazon Prime, you can have groceries delivered to your door in two days, for no shipping and handling! Skip all the holiday crowds, the traffic, and the bad weather! Non-Prime customers can get their order up to $25 shipped for free as well!
Want more ideas?