Wednesday, April 2, 2014

SCD-Chawan-Mushi, Japanese Egg Custard


Officially called, Chawanmushi this is a little dish that I ate a lot in Tokyo and it's perfectly healthy and very versatile. 

Sorry, no really fabulous pictures of Japan.  My camera broke the first day we went  out sight-seeing.  And THAT'S why I'll never buy Canon again. 


1st, you can either go all out and purchase handleless cups with matching lids (actually considered to be bowls)  on Amazon, and I have a couple that I bought in Japan, but I've also been known to use whatever mugs or ramekins that I have clean and some cling wrap or tin foil as a lid.

Basically, for 4 people, you need:
3 eggs
2 cups Dashi (2 tsp dashi powder and 2 cups hot water)
2/3 tsp soy sauce (again, this is for flavor.  You can skip it if you cannot digest soy)
a dash of sake
1 tsp mirin

and now the ingredients are whatever you want to add.  Traditionally you can add ginkgo nuts, but I really don't bother.  Just pick some things from this list and add as much of it as you'd like:
8 canned boiled ginkgo nuts
3 ounces of chopped chicken
4 small thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
4 ounces lump crabmeat
4 medium shrimp, heads removed, peeled, and deveined, halved lengthwise

This is a perfect use for a small amount of leftovers.

I had it in the winter, so it was served hot.  You can also serve it cold in the summer.

So, whip up the eggs, pour into bowls, place the meat and nuts and mushrooms into mixture.  All of this goes into a bain-marie.   Arrange covered cups in a large pot with hot water to 1/3 of the height of the cups.  Cover pot and steam the bowls over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes.  Don't let the water boil too vigorously.  To check, insert a skewer; if clear broth comes out, the dish is done.



No comments: