Sunday, April 6, 2014

Smoking Fatties This Weekend!



I've been studying with the online masters all week and this weekend, we gave these a try!  Everyone else buys a tube of store-bought sausage but I really like the way mine homemade sausage tastes so I made my own.  Unfortunately, we had a hard time finding pork at the grocery store so we settled for hamburger.  I guess these are closer to a grilled stuffed meatloaf than a proper sausage fatty.  But these are pretty paleo and SCD diet ready.  Adjust your cheeses to your needs. 

This is the ground meat with, now mine is to taste.  Like, I really like rosemary, so I use a lot from my garden.  If you like a lot of onions and garlic, add a lot of the powder or use fresh.  But in this mix I have:
rosemary, sage, red pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, ground cloves, ground pepper, ground anise seed, dash of cinnamon, and basil.

 And apples. 
 Although fabulous in my Thanksgiving sausages, the apples do impede rolling.  Avoid chunks of other food like onions and apples.

 I would recommend that you use parchment paper to work on instead of wax paper.  Wax paper just tore all up.
Now, I have to say, I LOVE bacon!  LOVE IT!  But it's such a strong flavor, along with the sausage meat, you really need to push the envelope for the center filling. 

 This first one is inspired by Sonic.  I love their Supersonic breakfast burritos...when they can manage to do it right.  85% of the time they leave off half the ingredients so I stopped bothering with them entirely a couple of years ago.  But here, I can finally get what I want!  That's chipotle salsa, cheese, homemade hash browns (instead of tater tots), diced green chili peppers, and scrambled eggs!

Here are the leftovers from the Reubens we've been having all week (smoked a homemade corned beef last weekend).  So this is homemade Thousand Island Dressing, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese.

tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and sausage

 Mexican style with salsa, cheese, grilled onions and peppers

This was dinner.  So far, it's a good start but it's not quite there yet.  The fillings need more punch or the meat needs to be thinner or maybe go without bacon (sacrilege!) but right now, all I can taste is bacon and some meat.

Oh well.  Can't wait for breakfast tomorrow!


No comments: